Monday, July 2, 2012

Yes, I've been gone for a few days

I got a call back for a follow up mammogram.

Right breast.

Same as last year.

I had a call back last year.  I held my head up high and marched into the screening area of the hospital like it was something I did every day.  I had a repeat mammogram.  The screener asked me to wait while the radiologist reviewed the pictures.  In 15 - 20 minutes (which seemed like an hour) she returned and told me I could go home.  They had reviewed my records and determined an ultrasound was not necessary at this time.  I had dense breasts.

That was the day before we moved.  I was so busy last summer that I didn't have much time to think about what could have been.  I packed up my house and moved 2 hours north.  I started a new job.  My girls started new schools.

A year has passed.  I got the call yesterday.  Right breast has had a significant change.  When would you like to return for a follow up mammogram and an ultrasound?

"Tomorrow", I said.  "I know it's a long shot.  But it's worth a phone call"

"Yes"  said the nurse.  "Give me a minute.  I will call and see if they can get you in tomorrow.  If they can't do it tomorrow, I'll keep asking until we find you a spot as quickly as possible.  I'll call you right back"

She called back.  X Ray and Ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow at 2pm.  Please have your insurance card and identification.  Thank you.

There will be no sleeping or eating (on my part) until tomorrow afternoon.  All of a sudden my right breast feels achy.

I'll let you know.  Thanks.


1 comment:

  1. Good luck, let's hope everything is OK, will be sending positive thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete