Monday, September 23, 2013

First Things First

Way back in December 2012 I declared it would be "THE YEAR OF ME!"  I've put myself last on the list for too, too long.  With all 3 children graduating their respective schools, I made the decision that it was time for ME to pay some attention to ME.

And so it began with P90.  Power 90 by Tony Horton.  NOT the P90X.  Wasn't sure Totally sure I wasn't ready for the XTREME so I did a search on amazon and found his first workout series online.  Ordered it.  Pushed play.  In fact, I pushed play every day for 90 days.  (I think I missed only twice and even those days I made up later)  By May 15 I had lost one size.  I felt stronger and leaner.  I had lost 8 pounds.  Pretty sure I wouldn't make the cut for the infomercial, but I was still satisfied glad I managed even this much.

After the whirlwind graduation month and the summer trips and then moving my middle child into a university dorm 5 hours away, I was tired.  T.I.R.E.D.  Those 8 pounds I lost back in the spring?  I found them.  Plus a few more.  Dang.  Frustrating.

With school back in session and my life settling into a normal frenzy, I once again decided it was time for me.  And this time I also decided I'd do things opposite.  It's going to be OPPOSITE DAY as they say on NickJr.

First things first:  Medical Checkup.
Did I tell you about my gynecologist appointment?  Total frustrating and disappointment.  I had my brave face, my determination, my questions.  I was ready.  I did not get a question in.  Well, maybe one.  I asked him if my medication could be causing the struggle to lose even a pound.  The answer?  "It takes a lot of effort to lose weight"  And that was it.  Wow.  I felt shell shocked when leaving.

Dr. Oz says if you don't get the answers you want from the first doctor, find a new one.  So that's what I did.

The next Friday morning I found myself in the office of a new doctor.  I had made an appointment for a full physical (minus the pap smear which I did manage to have done at the disappointing GYN office)
I was to show up starving fasting.

I received the results of my bloodwork yesterday.
Thankfully everything was normal.  EXCEPT my blood sugar.  138.  Normal is under 100.  So I need to return in 4 months for a recheck.

Secondly:  I found myfitnesspal.com.  Entered my health info and statistics.  And the program gave me a free chart that calculates calories, fat, sugar, vitamins and minerals.  For the next 30 days I'm staying within the default limits.  I may decide to add more protein and lower the carb allowance but for now I'm sticking with the recommendations.

Other opposite things I will be doing:

weighing and measuring.  (I used to eye ball it)
weigh daily (I know, they say weigh weekly.  But that's what I've done in the past.  And this time I'm doing the opposite)
eat less fruit (Weight Watchers got me in the habit of eating fruit for a snack for zero points.  But wow, the sugar in fruit may be a problem for me.  I'll see how it is in 4 months)
Think about ME when I'm at Kroger - true story.  I usually buy for everybody else and then try to eat around them.  Yep.  True.

Current Weight:  223  (I KNOW!!!!!!)
Goal for Oct 31 Halloween:  210
Goal for Jan 1 New Year:  199


I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment