Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Kick in the Pants

They say you have to hit rock bottom before you can start to climb back up.

Friday morning I went to the doctor for a complete physical.  Hearing the information was helpful and welcome.  I asked for help and I got many answers.  But it wasn't until today - when the email arrived - that I hit rock bottom.

"Please log into your medical account to see a new message from your physician."

I logged in.

Name, address, email
Female
Married

Then I saw it.  OBESE.  What?  I know I'm pudgy.  I know I've ignored it for a long time.  But my jeans still fit.  And I'm always up and down 15 pounds.  I feel fine.  My blood pressure is normal now.

But there it was.  

OBESE

What was that thump?  That was me hitting rock bottom.  Wow.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I have ignored it long enough.  Seeing that word next to my BMI sent electrical shocks through my body.  Wow.  

After the initial shock, I googled "measuring my BMI".  Anything above 30 is obese.  And I'm well above that.  I've never seen it in print.

Okay.  Well.  Whew.  Now what.  I can't just look at that word and go on like nothing happened.  

Besides, I like a well thought out plan.  

I was standing in the grocery store line waiting to check out and read over the magazine headlines.
Lose 10 pounds in a week with no hunger
Lose 2 size by Halloween
How she dropped 50 pounds eating chocolate cake for breakfast!

So, that last one - I made it up.  But it'll probably be a headline next week.  

Finally I whispered a sincere, private prayer.  

My Heavenly Father,

You formed me.  You created me.  You know me.
I need your help.
I know that You always give the best to those who leave the choice to You.
So, I'm leaving the choice to you.
Guide me to the steps toward health.
Push me there!  
I'm leaving the choice to You.  

Me


I managed to check out and drive home.  I couldn't wait to start.

What am I doing?

I searched online and found Myfitnesspal.com. 
I entered my information.
The program automatically keeps track of calories, protein, fat, sugar, sodium.  
The program sets goals in each category.

Onward to health.  I'll let you know.

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment