Monday, November 25, 2013

The Great Flood of Thanksgiving 2013

Hello All

I'm a planner.  I'm a list maker.  I use the alphabet to organize the spices in my pantry, the colors of the rainbow to organize the clothes in my closet.  I believe there is a place for everything and everything should be in it's place.  Why am I telling you all this?  Especially since you are quite aware of my weirdness?  Because of what happened 2 nights ago.

It was just a regular night.  Ironman had only just returned from an out of town event.  He helped my hang some new pictures in the half bath near the kitchen.  While in that bath he made a statement about the toilet in there.  Something like "you know, I replaced the flapper in this toilet.  Has it stopped running all the time?"  Yes.  It had stopped the annoying running.  You know, where you have to go jiggle the handle to make it stop?

In the early morning hours, I got out of bed.  I'm not a sleep-all-nighter.  It was 3:17am to be exact.  I stepped into a lake in my bedroom.  My first thought was that the rain storm had blown in toward our house and water had seeped under the french doors into the room.  But by the second step I knew that wasn't true.  Water.  Everywhere.  And I mean EVERYWHERE.

We spent the next 10 minutes trying to stop the bleeding.  Where was this water coming from?  You guessed it, the toilet in the half bath.  It filled up and didn't stop.  Overflowed, and flooded the downstairs as we slept.  Everything was soaked.  SOAKED. Water was almost an inch deep in our master suite, down the hall, into the hearth room, toward the half bath, and stopping at the bottom of the stairs.

We swept out a lot of water.  Did I mention it was below freezing out?  And so now I'm barefooted, sweeping cold water out into the cold yard in a t-shirt and shorts.  Can you spell PNEUMONIA? We moved furniture, swept and wiped.  I have a broom with a squeegee on one end and it really saved me a lot of extra work.



Needless to say we were horrified.  The master suite we had only just finished was flooded.  I kept thinking, "My wood floor.  It's going to ruin the floor".  I just HATED that.

I'm sure you are wondering why we didn't grab the wet vac.  The one we had  didn't make the cut when we were moving to this house.  And because it was Sunday, Home Depot didn't open until 8am.  Ironman was their first customer.

So far the wood flooring is holding up.   But we haven't relaxed yet.  We've kept the fans going and checked the floor moldings.

I didn't realize until things had quieted down that Ironman had grabbed every single towel in the house to wipe down the floor.  Every.single.towel.  When one towel was saturated, he'd toss it into the tub and grab another one.  When he ran out of towels he grabbed blankets.  He even grabbed shirts!  He didn't care.  He was going to get that floor dry.  I've lost count of how many loads of laundry I've done.  But just now, at 5:01pm Monday, the bathtub is clear of wet towels and …… everything else he used.

The items on my Sunday To Do List?  They had to move over to my Monday to do list.

We haven't heard a peep from that toilet.


No comments:

Post a Comment