Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Eggs and Bunnies

    Did we have spring?  It went directly from winter to summer.  Hot, humid, sticky, miserable.  Which explains why I've had a headache for a week.

Which means I've avoided going outside except to sprint to the air conditioned car.

Which also means I've been inside with nothing to do.  Except eat. Cook and eat.

Ree Drummond.  Why are your photos so delectable.  Why do I get a sudden urge to prepare your recipes?  Here's our Easter Dinner.  Step by Step.  The way Ree would do it.
                      Short Ribs with Tomato Glaze.  Oh my.  Worth the price.
              Had to hit 2 grocery stores:  Kroger and Albertson.  Salt and pepper generously
 Heat canola oil in cast iron dutch oven until very hot.  This is my Rachael Ray cast iron skillet I bought several years ago at Marshalls.  Yes, Marshalls.  I remember it was $9.00.  We cook everything in it.  It is glazed on the bottom.  Some good stuff has come out of this little dutch oven.
       Place spare ribs into the hot oil to sear.  About 1 - 1/2 minutes on each side.
 Then remove them.  Pour out most of the hot oil into a heat resistant dish so it can cool before you discard it.  Not a glass dish.  Use another pot or something.
                    Add one diced onion and 3 - 4 cloves of garlic.  Don't let them burn.
 Now, this photo is horrible.  Sometimes I lose my camera when I'm in the kitchen.  I also lose my coffee in the mornings.  I can't just leave the recipe to hunt the camera.  So I grabbed my cell phone for this photo.  One day I'll have a super nice camera.  But until now:  add one can of tomato sauce and one can of another kind of canned tomato.  I used petite diced.  Because that's what I had a coupon for.  But you can use whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, whatever.
                                                               Then it'll look like this.
   I poured in about 1/2 cup of chicken broth because IronMan MUST have a lot of liquid
       Look at this rent house oven.  UUUGGLLLYY.  But it works.  So it could be worse.
Cover and put in 250 degree oven for 4 hours.
           Started this at the end of the day since it would tie up the oven for so long.
Besides I had also prepared a big pot of gumbo.  We're having the short ribs for Easter Dinner on Sunday.
Now, for the next part I did not take a photo because it's disgusting.  At the end of cooking time, the meat will be falling off the bone.  Let it sit.  Then put it in the refrigerator to rest overnight.  Do not skip this part.  You'll be so sorry if you do.
In the morning, the fat will have hardened and risen to the top.  It's disgusting looking.  Don't let anybody see it.   I didn't take a photo of the fat.  Maybe next time.  You can imagine, though.
                 I put the defatted dish back into the oven to warm.  Made carrot souffle and
                                                   mashed potatoes and dinner rolls.
                        This is The Engineer's plate.  He had seconds.  Which says a lot.
Thank you, Ree, for the recipe with the easy to follow directions.  
Now if you could just make it lower in calories!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment