Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Girls, Women

I've often wondered:  why can't women work together?  It seems there is always an underlying competitive angst present.  One idea, no matter how unique and creative and generously offered, is almost always met with a sarcasm that seems oddly out of place.

Like the sesame street song  "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong, can you guess which thing is not like the others by the time I finish this song"

And it happens across the birthdays.  It doesn't matter how young or how mature.  Women can not work together.  

Dancer Girl tells tales of a mean girl at her school.  One that even pushes and bumps into the girls she sees as below her.  When we all know it's she that is feeling low.  People want to even the playing field.  And to do that they need to either cut you down to drop you to their level, or even more annoyingly, they must boast and build themselves up to be some kind of saint hoping you'll drop down and genuflect in their presence.

Give me a break.

It happened to me today. I was in the room with 2 other women, trying my damnest to not miss the opportunity to keep my mouth shut.  I was polite but not friendly.  I've learned to shut down that part of me.  I just sit, listen, say just enough to be pleasant.   The few things I did say were met with sarcasm.

One day I am going to stand up and ask, "what in the world makes you think it's okay to say that?  it does not make me like you"

Some women are just not generous and thoughtful.  I get that.  But I also know for a fact that part of being a mature woman is finally getting it through your thick skull that at the very least you MUST to polite.  ALWAYS POLITE.  

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
 - Thumper

Such a weird weird place I was today.


And Mrs Sarcastic?  SHUT UP

No comments:

Post a Comment