Monday, October 28, 2013

That's nice. Now let's talk about me

I have finally hit my limit of listening.  It seems every time I run into you, you're eager to tell me about about YOU.  It can be nice to catch up, to hear what's happening with your kids, your pets, your life.  But there is a limit.  If you've been talking bout yourself more than, let's say, 4 minutes?  That's long enough.  Move on.  I'm feigning listening.  I mean, I am listening.  How can I not hear?  But in my head I'm thinking, "SHUT UP!"

I've actually been caught off guard when the endless updates pause and I hear, "So, what's happening with y'all?"  Wait.  I think I heard you say that.  Maybe I was imagining it.  No, you're not talking.  You're waiting impatiently for me to answer.  Like an obligation or something.  I manage to say something polite like "We're doing fine.  Busy as always."  That's about as far I usually get.  Then we fall back into our usual pattern of YOU TALK ME LISTEN.

Well, I'm done.  D.O.N.E.

I refuse to continue along this train track.  I refuse to be invisible anymore.  I refuse to allow you (and really, I'm enabling you) to continue with the bad manners.

I once told you "If you have to tell people how good you are, you ain't that good"  Yep.  I said it.  You just kinda guffawed.  Now, guffaw.  That's an underused word for ye.


I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed.  Let me just list stuff about ME.  Just this once.

1.  I am supposed to call today after 12 noon for my colonoscopy pathology results
2.  My dryer isn't heating.  Appliance Repairman scheduled between 1 and 4pm
3.  My gas fireplace won't stay lit.  Repairman scheduled for Thursday between 8 and 4.
4.  Lightbulb is burned out in the bathroom toilet area.  It's dark in there
5.  Dancer Girl has an orthodontist appointment at 4:30 and a Lacrosse Team meeting at 5;30.
6.  My back hurts.
7.  My house is a wreck and because I can't do laundry I have nothing to wear.
8.  I think Dancer Girl wore "dirty" jeans to school today
9.  I tried to help The Engineer buy auto insurance yesterday and he kept yawning.  Barely hanging in there.  Yes, I was frustrated.  And he was disinterested.
10.  Ironman is working from home today which means he'll be in every single room of the house.  He does not sit still.  He is not quiet.  And he likes to depend on me to find things, figure out things, sign things, do this, do that.

I am Debbie Downer today!

One final quick note:  Did you watch The Good Wife last night?  WOWZA!!!!

Favorite shows:
3.  Dog The Bounty Hunter
2.  The Good Wife
1.  PARENTHOOD.  LOVE< LOVE< LOVE:




.

No comments:

Post a Comment