Monday, June 4, 2012

Wait for me. I'm over here!

Is it summer yet?  I just heard the local weather man say that this was the warmest hottest June 4th in the history of the world in this area.  I guess he's right.  Weather Guys don't lie.  I'll vouch for him.  Today was HOT!

Now, to recap my summer break.  It's a break from my paying job, but not from my life job.  Let's just get that straight.

The last day of school was Thursday.  That was an exciting day but I couldn't thoroughly enjoy it because I had so much to do.  Busy busy.  I.T. girl and I drove to Dallas to see The Engineer before he left for his summer internship.  He has recently moved into an off campus apartment.  You wanna see?

Transport yourself back in time to those college days.  Here goes:

 Bedroom.  Mattress and box springs on the floor.  I offered to buy him a bed frame.  He looked at me quizzically.  I guess that means "nah".   He does have a chest of drawers.  (not shown)  But really, the floor is good for sorting clothes.
 Bathroom.  One tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush.  What else do you need?
 Everyone needs a linen closet to store your super water guns.  And your tool box.
 Living area:  One desk chair left by the dumpster at the dorm.  One large skyscraper picture bought at Ikea in their half price section.  One fuzzy bean bag chair.  One parking limit sign.  I didn't ask where that came from.
Kitchen.  See that mason jar?  That is their coin savings bank.  I guess they are saving up for cable.

All in all The Engineer and his roommate are very happy. They both have internships for the summer.  They will earn enough money to be comfortable as college seniors and to pay for an off campus apartment.

While we were there a friend of The Engineer called.  Her parents had a couch and a washer and dryer they'd like to GIVE to him.  FOR FREE!!  WOW!  I was excited.  We did have to rent a UHaul truck but The Engineer had friends to help and they did it.   WOO HOO!!  Very, very generous.  A big thank you from me to them.

We returned home Sunday afternoon.  I ate lunch.  I ran up to my church to take care of some Vacation Bible School last minute plans.  WOW-WEE.  So much work!  I definitely put my preschool teacher skills and experience to the test.  I was pulling things out of my hat.

I have always enjoyed vacation bible school.  There's just something fun and exciting about the new and different things offered.  And the mornings are jam packed!  By the time I got home at noon I was really tired.  I was already tired from the end of school, and the weekend in Texas and then this.  I slept for 2 hours.

All in all it's been a fast and furious beginning of summer vacation for me.  More stories about our weekend to come. ( Including one about a VERY RUDE Embassy Suites check-in lady. )

I'm glad to be back.

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures bring back memories!

    Really looking forward to the story about the check-in lady. :)

    ReplyDelete