Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The bravest thing I've ever done...

It is time.

I have  decided.

I asked Ironman for his help.  Now, that alone took courage.  His reply, "Don't you want to wait until after the Holidays?"

NO!  Once I decided, that was it.  I was ready.

I have GOT TO LOSE WEIGHT.

I'm heavier than I've ever been.  I wasn't this heavy when I was 9 months pregnant!
I'm allmmooosstt sized out of the misses size section.  I just can NOT walk across the store to the "WOMAN'S WORLD"  Who comes up with those labels?

I don't want to wear elastic waist pants.

What else happened?

I saw a photo of myself from the first day of school this year.  WHO IS THAT?  Surely that's not me.  I must have been............ wait, I'm sure I was sitting near Mrs. R.  Yes, I do have a blue shirt like that.  But that can NOT be me.  That woman is, well, she's FAT.  Ugh, there it is.  The real F word.

So, I decided.

And now I needed a plan.  I do so much better with a plan.  I do so much better with a beginning, middle and end. I know there's not ever really an end.  A better term would be "TIME TABLE"

Two things happened basically at the same time.  I celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary. I was thinking to myself how Ironman and I have been married all this time and there are so many things I don't share with him.  So many things I keep under wraps.  I need to change that.

 I needed to TELL.  I'm always the listener.  The "of course" person.  The encourager and the "easy to work with" girl.   This time, I needed and wanted to be the teller.  And I wanted to confide in my husband of 25 years.  Maybe, just maybe, it would chisel away a little of that wall I've built.

So I did it.

I asked him for help.

What did I want?   I wanted his encouragement and blessing.  I wanted him to NOT sabotage my eating.  I wanted him to NOT ask me a zillion questions about everything.  Weird, but it's true.  And I wanted him to give me workout tips.

You see, I'm a diet expert.  Weight Watchers, Dr Oz Diet, Atkins, Grapefruit and hotdogs........ ha  I've done it all.  And I've lost weight on all of them.  And gained it back.  I can't keep it up.  I get hungry.  I get bored.  Therefore, I wasn't interested in returning to something that doesn't really work for me.

Next, the workout.  Ironman helped set up a plan.  I started out.  It felt great to have a plan.  Then by chance I happened upon an ad for P90X online.  Yes.  P90X.  I've heard of it.  (I've also heard of banana pudding.    I don't know why I through that in.)  It's one of those things you know about but it doesn't resonate.

This time it did.

I went on YouTube.  I watched results videos.  1, 2, 10, 25 videos.  Over and over and over.  I felt inspired.   There is a skill test on YouTube  that acts as  an aid to guide you in choosing P90 - which came out years ago - or the newer P90X.  I was half and half.  I could do 25 of those, but only 2 of the other.  I decided to play it safe and order the Power90 DVDs.

WOW!

My first day:  Dec. 17.

I've already lost 3 1/2 inches across my middle.  Yes.  THREE AND A HALF INCHES from the fattest part of my belly.  Right straight around the belly button.  Wowza.

I've never sweated so much!  And I've never felt so energized.

The plan guides you to go back and forth between 2 workouts:  Cardio and Sculpt.
The first time I completed the sculpt video my whole body tingled afterwards.  I sat in the chair and felt light as a cloud.  I thought maybe I'd float to the ceiling!  My back felt strong and fresh and.......... like peppermint!  I don't know how else to describe it.

I also took a photo of myself on Day 5.  (I just never had time to do it on day 1 and even then I had to figure out how to set the timer on my camera.  )

On Day 30 I will post my before and Day 30 photos.

I feel so excited!!

3 days a week I do cardio.  2 days a week I do sculpt workouts with hand weights.  1 day I rest.  And that one day will probably always be Wednesdays because that is the busiest day of the week for me.

I hung a 90 day calendar in my closet.  Everyday after the workout I mark off the day.  Every 30 days I'm going to weigh and measure.  (I cheated and measured today on day 17.)

Now that Christmas is behind us I can clean up my eating.  No junk.  Nothing fried.  One diet drink a day in hopes of giving them up completely.  Lots of veggies, whole grains, some fruit, lean protein.


If you've read this far I've got to tell you what happened this past Saturday.
Dancer Girl and I were in Target looking at Christmas markdown stuff.  It was not crowded so we were taking our time.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a lady glance at me, turn her buggy around with a look of recognition on her face and before I could even speak she says to me, "Oh hey!  When is your baby due?"

Oh my gosh.......................... are you kidding me?

I looked at her and in a no nonsense say simply said, "I'm not pregnant"
She threw her hands over her face and said, "Oh no!  I can't believe I just said that to you."  By now she is continuing to come closer.  My feet were in cement.  I glanced at my daughter and she was just standing there unsure of what to do.  The woman walks close enough to touch my belly and says, "The way your sweater is poking out right here I........... oh, that's the button on your blouse.  It's showing through the pullover.  I thought it was your naval.  You know how pregnant women, their naval will poke out?"

Are you still talking??

I think you are still talking to me.

I'm leaving.  Goodbye.

I'm ready to go.  I can feel my face and it's bright red glow.  I could have led Santa's sleigh.

Can you believe that as my daughter and I were leaving the Christmas section this woman actually hollered to us, "Where's the bathroom in this place?  Is it way in the front?"  I just pointed to the front and said, "Yes, in the front."

Oh, that is not what I wanted to say.  Oh no.  But silence is golden.

I left her and her stupid comments near the ornaments.

Dancer Girl never mentioned it.  Thank goodness.

Lady - I've lost 3 1/2 inches around the middle.  And you look like you could lose a few yourself.

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment