Thursday, May 3, 2012

Things only my kids do...

Don't panic.

This will not be a Kathie Lee Gifford "look at my precious angel" post.  Trust me.  I'm around kids all the time.  I mean ALL the time.  And when you are around small children ALL THE TIME (did I already say that?) let's just say......... their cuteness gets lost somewhere among the noise and the questions.  Oh, the questions.  I read somewhere the average 4 year old asks over 500 questions a day.  Yes.  I believe it.

But I digress.

I'm not talking about those kids that come to visit me every day.  I'm talking about those kids that live with me.  The ones I birthed.  

Let's talk, shall we?

My children NEVER know what time something begins.  They also never know what time something ends - which means I'm never quite sure what time to show for pick up.

Just today:

Dancer Girl is in a play at her school.  Oh gosh, hurry up and be over.  They have been rehearsing after school for weeks until 5pm.  Today I show up at 5pm and there is a long line of Moms waiting.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.   I spend so much time doing that.  10 minutes, 15 minutes, finally at 20 minutes I park and go in.  The whole cast is on stage singing and dancing and........... did I know rehearsal was going on until 6 tonight?  Nope.  Sure didn't.  My daughter didn't tell me because she says she didn't know.    Brother.

I was in a hurry to leave play rehearsal because I.T. girl was in a program at HER school.  When did it begin?  6pm.  She told me "It starts at 6".   I grab Dancer Girl, rush to the high school, zip into the parking lot and notice not too many cars.   5 minutes before it should be starting............wait a minute.  Oh no.  Do NOT tell me it starts...............

Well, you guessed it.  I walk in and the program says 6:30.

And it's not limited to my daughters.  The Engineer is the same exact way.  I fact, as the first born I guess he blazed the trail.   His Junior Year at the University will end next week.  He does have a job for the summer  (Thank you for small miracles)  But does he know where he'll live?  What he's going to do about next semester?  What his plans are for his senior year?  No. No and No.

Hence I have gray hair.

My hair appointment is tomorrow at 2:30.  I know exactly what time that starts!




3 comments:

  1. LOL I haven't quite gotten to that stage with my own kids, but my stepson, who was fifteen when I met his dad, was exactly the same. His father worked a lot, so most of the responsibility for getting him places fell to me, and he would drive me insane with all of his "not knowing." Ugh.

    Hang in there--and enjoy your hair appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow you are just supposed to know 'cos you are mum. I remember those days and feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hear ya! Especially when all the grand kiddies are around. I have one going through the Huh, What and Why? No matter what you ask him, one of those will be the answer. I love them, but I also love the quiet.

    ReplyDelete