Friday, March 30, 2012

Happy Birthday

Today is the Ironman's birthday.

He is .....  Just a minute.......... let me make sure............. can you all hear me?

HE IS FIFTY ONE TODAY!

Happy Birthday to Ironman.

The Dancer Girl - our resident Rachael Ray - baked a cake.  The recipe is one I was given by a friend of mine years and years ago.  I don't know anything other than it is fool proof. Oh, and it's delicious.  So, thank you Cindy.  I can't remember where she said she found the recipe.  From a magazine?  From a cookbook?  Therefore I can't give proper credit to the creationist.  Creationer?  You know what I mean.  But whomever you are, this is one rockin' recipe.

The Dancer Girl may not be the tidiest baker, but do we care how the cake looks?  Do we care that the frosting covers both the cake AND the countertop?  Heavens no.  Bring on the cake!

 I had to hurry to snap a photo before it was devoured.  This cake is dangerous.  You just can not eat only one serving.
If I ever open a bakery, I will have to sell this cake.

By the way, I have no desire or interest in opening a bakery.

Here is the recipe.  Promise you will not share it with a soul.  Pinky promise.
You will notice there are no beans anywhere.  (vegetarian joke)

Rockin' Red Velvet Cake

serves 16 or 8  Depending.........

Ingredients:

1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 oz. red food coloring
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix cake mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring*, eggs and vanilla in large mixing bowl.  Blend with electric mixer for 1 minutes.  Beat 2 - 3 minutes.

Pour in desired pan.

Bake 28 - 30 minutes

Let cool and top with cream cheese frosting.  Eat a slice quick before anyone sees the cake is ready!

*  I have made this cake several times and just did not add any food coloring.  Have you seen the price of food coloring?  Crazy ridiculous.  I'll buy some for those Easter Eggs but it's not exactly necessary for this cake.  Unless you want it to have that traditional red color.  In which case go ahead and buy some.  The cake in this photo has pink food coloring added to it.  Yes, pink.  The Dancer Girl could not believe we were out of the red so she just substituted pink.

Frosting recipe:
8 oz cream cheese
8 Tablespoon butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream cheese and butter together.  Add sugar gradually.  Add vanilla.

Oh my oh my.  I'm so glad calories eaten on your birthday don't count.  Same goes for calories eaten on your husband's birthday.  Good to know, yes?

No one will guess you used a regular ordinary boxed cake mix.  So don't tell them.

Happy Birthday, Ironman.  What's for supper?

No comments:

Post a Comment