Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Finished and Turned In On Time

Since Sunday afternoon my family has been entrenched in an assignment given by I.T. Girl's History Teacher.  My  middle daughter is in the 11th grade.   I'm not sure when the assignment was given by the teacher, but I.T. girl did not begin until Sunday.  And it was due today, Wednesday.

Oh sure, every now and then she'd mention it to me.  "I have this autobiography project I have to do."  Then she'd say, "I'm going to work on that autobiography project over the Christmas Holidays"  O.K.  I was pretty sure THAT wasn't going to happen.

I've never had to force coax I.T. Girl when it comes to homework.  She's relatively studious and her time management skills are usually pretty good.  Still, like her mother, many times the outcome is better under pressure.

And so as my family sat down for Sunday Dinner, I.T. girl began describing everything that was to be included in this project.  OH MY!!!   We decided we'd divvy up the work.  Several of the assigned items could only be done by I.T. herself.  But almost half of them were merely "looking up facts on the internet".

Here are some of the items:
A family tree with at minimum five generations.  Complete with dates of birth, dates of christening, dates of death, city and state of residency, occupation.  WOW!  Ironman and I both helped with that one.  We filled out a worksheet and then I.T. girl designed a "tree" and just copied our information.

A mission statement.  Obviously I.T. girl had to complete that one herself.

A list of 10 historical events that happened on your birthdate.

An imaginary interview with a well known person living or dead.  The Engineer helped with this one.  He wrote out an interview with Walt Disney.

A list of 10 memorable days in your life.  I helped her with this one.

And the list goes on and on and on.  There were 25 items to complete.

We all worked together for several hours Sunday,  then again on Monday.  Then again last night, Tuesday.  By 10pm the entire project was printed, placed in sheet protectors, snapped into a binder, signed, sealed............. and I.T. girl delivered it to her teacher today.

It was a monster of an assignment.

Homework wears us all out.  

********************************************

So with that project behind us I hope I can have the time and energy to get back to my crafting and sewing and cooking and reading and all that stuff I enjoy.  

I'd like to make a few more of those paper trees.  Maybe using magazine pages this time.
I'd like to sew some pillow covers from luncheon napkins I bought at World Market.
I'd like to paint the wood pallet I pulled from a dumpster.  (I saw a super cute idea on pinterest)
I'd like to sit quietly and finish the book I started way back before the holiday madness began.
I'd like to take a nap!!


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like one doozy of an assignment! I will stop complaining about my 11th graders "scholarly paper"....it is nothing compared to what you guys just put together! My kids and I work better under pressure too. It's not procrastinating. It's knowing when we do our best work and waiting for that moment of genius!

    ReplyDelete